I’m always looking for more recipes that do not include meat and are both easy and inexpensive to make. This is one of them.
Eggplant Torte a la Provencal adapted from The Occasional Vegetarian by Karen Lee
1 large eggplant sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
2 medium potatoes sliced into 3/8 inch rounds
2 medium tomatoes sliced into 3/8 inch rounds
1 medium red onion sliced into 3/8 inch rounds
1 medium zucchini sliced into 3/8 inch rounds
3/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/3 tsp dried thyme
- For seasoned oil, combine oil, garlic, and thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush eggplant with oil & broil for 2-3 minutes until brown. Remove from oven.
- Toss other vegetables to coat (but keep them in separate sections in your bowl or separate bowls.
- Layer vegetables in an oiled baking dish, tucking basil leaves between layers.
- Repeat until all have been used up.
- Pour any remaining oil over pan
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 350F
Serve hot or at room temperature. This torte can be refrigerated for 1 day. Reheat before serving.