I recently shared that we live on a poisoned planet, and the environment plus our living habits (especially our diets) are slowly poisoning US. Adding a yuck factor to our bodies that leave us feeling sluggish, and generally unwell, and are actually beginning disease processes that we may not find out about for years.
So, what can we do about this?
In Flylady terms, we need to declutter. We already know about clutter in our houses. It just grows and grows as we bring it in, and ends up preventing us from enjoying our homes. I’ve also heard the Flylady refer to two different types of body clutter: excess weight and clutter between your ears, or “stinkin’ thinkin‘ ”
I suggest that there is another type of Body Clutter: Toxins. They’re not just theoretical; they’re very real. And to make your body work right so that you can feel well and enjoy your life better, you need to get them out. You need to declutter. You need to DETOX.
Sounds like a huge big deal that’s only for health nuts, right? Well, it might sound that way, but it’s not. It’s actually very easy to do, and you can do it too, just by taking some babysteps.
How do you know if you need to detox?
- *get headaches (they may be common, but they’re not normal!)
- *feel tired even when you’ve gotten what should be enough sleep
- *get “indigestion” (constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating, heartburn, etc.)
- *have allergies
- *get sick more than a couple of times a year
- *have a general feeling of blah for no apparent reason
- *live on the same poisoned planet that I do 🙂
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then read on. Steps to declutter your toxins are coming up.
My entire family and I are going to do a detox program beginning next week (August 15) for 21 days. It will involve taking certain supplements (that are completely natural and safe for us all-even the little guys) and modifying our diets to assist our bodies to do what they already know how to do: take out the garbage. I’ll share more details of our plans in an upcoming post.
But what about YOU? Do you feel that maybe, just maybe, you could use a little bit of “body de-cluttering?” Even without taking supplements, you could make great changes.
Detoxing is not an “all or nothing” kind of thing. Any little step you take will help you.
Commit to ONE of these for three weeks beginning on August 15, 2010:
- Say NO to soda and/or coffee, and drink ONLY WATER. Leanne Ely of Saving Dinner posted a great “No Soda for Me” essay on her Facebook page. If you still don’t believe that soda’s bad for you, read my post on What Happens To Your Body Within An Hour of Drinking a Coke. Note: “drinking water” means drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces of WATER each day (not juice, crystal light, or anything else.
- Say NO to artificial sweeteners, MSG, and/or high fructose corn syrup. You can read my post on Aspartame’s New Name and why corn syrup is NOT a sweet surprise.
- Say NO to processed grains. This means only WHOLE wheat bread, pasta, whole grain rice. For more info on why whole wheat is important, see Is Wonderbread Making You Sterile?
- Say NO to meat of any kind more than 3 times total in one week. Or cut it down to once. Or not at all. In other words, how ever much meat you are eating now, eat much LESS of it. Wondering what you’ll serve for dinner? Check out some of my non-meat recipes including beans.
- Say NO to dairy. Or cut it down dramatically. Whatever would be a big change for you; none is best if you want to be able to see how you feel without it. Why? Read my post on milk and how to get your calcium from other places. And don’t forget: you can make your own almond milk anytime!
- Say NO to processed sugar. This includes white and brown sugar and also honey if it’s pasteurized. What does that leave you with? Raw honey, sucanat, or stevia. Dried dates and raisins can be used to sweeten, but try getting along without indulging that sweet tooth. And yes…this means no chocolate! Unless you can get chocolate without sugar. If so, then go for it! 🙂
- Say NO to animal products. In other words, go vegan. Avoid all meats, milk/cheese and eggs. Eat only things that might have been growing in the Garden of Eden, hopefully in a form close to their original.
- Say NO to cooked foods. Go for LIVE foods that still have their enzymes in them. If you do this, your body will absolutely jump for joy, and the level of healing and detoxing it can accomplish will soar. I’ve mentioned going more raw in these posts: When Your Child Is Unwell: Attitudes Toward Illness and Sick And Tired of Feeling Sick And Tired. If going completely raw is not something you’d consider, try it for two or at least one meal each day.
Do any ONE of these for 21 days (3 weeks), and you will notice changes!
Choose the one that works for YOU.
I can’t wait to see how great our family feels after our detox. Join us.
Make a commitment to ONE of the above choices for 3 weeks. Which one is right for you? Leave a comment. Accountability is very powerful, and I’d love for us to share this journey together.